Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Dive I Will Never Forget!!!!!!

Yesterday was a day that I will never forget. I decided it was time to face my fear of sharks and go for a diving lesson in the Bay of Prony, in New Caledonia’s South . It was a very early start. By 6.30am I was already at the Divers hut, just a few hundred metres from the bays shore. I had a quick safety brief, which to me didn’t seem like enough, and then got suited up and ready to dive. The instructor and I stepped on the small speed boat and it was only then that it really hit me. I was about to go diving with fish, stingrays, turtle, dugongs and sharks, REAL SHARKS! My heart was racing so fast that I didn’t even notice the boat had started and we were off out into the massive bay.





The boat came to a slow stop in the middle of the water and the instructor said it was time to jump. We sat on the edge facing away from the water and leant backwards. It took a while after entering the warm, clear water to get my bearings. I opened my eyes and staring me in the face was a beautiful colourful fish called the Rainbow Parrot Fish. I had an urge to touch it but I couldn’t, we were told not to encase they reacted. We swam deeper and deeper until finally I spotted a shark. It was not as big as I expected, but it was something all right! There was colourful coral and seaweed, smooth green turtles, baby stingrays and even puffer fish. It was amazing to see so many different and unique sea animals so up close.

We spent about 45 minutes under water, even though I didn’t want to leave. It was an amazing experience in all and if I had the chance, I would do it all over again!!!!

xx Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.