Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Feeling sore. My wood plank covered in a blanket classified as a bed was not the best aid in sleep, so I was not in the most enlightened of moods. I decided this morning that I would take the complimentary breakfast that came with the stay, supplied by my immense deposit of 6 dollars. Bad choice. On my way to the dining room, Mrs Chuluun told me they had prepared something especially for me, something I would know.

Pizza for breakfast is not my ideal start for the day, but when I saw it on the menu; I thought to try it and commend them for their efforts. Another bad choice. When the plate came, all I saw was a piece of bread with tomatoes on it and some yak’s cheese, it could’ve probably supplied a free beverage with all the grease it was bathing in. So after a restless sleep and a sickening breakfast, I was looking forward to getting out of the hostel and take another bite of what Mongolia had to offer.

I decided I would go to a performance of some sort. After looking through my lonely planet book, I found what I was looking for, the State Opera and Ballet Theatre. I booked to see a famous Mongolian opera called Three Fateful Hills; I then got ready and took public transport to Sükhbaatar Square in central Ulaanbaatar.

When I arrived I saw that the theatre was a beautiful salmon-pink building that, according to a plaque, had been built by the Russians in 1932. I entered the building with excitement, verified my ticket and said “spaciba,” meaning thankyou in Russian which is a main language in Mongolia.

The opera was magnificent and one I will cherish forever. It was so beautifully sung and it had the most brilliant cast, all of which had especially unique voices. I honestly didn’t understand the story-line as it was sung in Mongol and the subtitles were in Chinese, another language spoken in Mongolia. But I didn’t really care, the music, the dancing and the voices just enchanted me and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I was exhausted, but very happy with my choice in entertainment, so I decided good things can’t last for long, leading me to head back to Oyuna. I didn’t bump into the “happy” couple, thank god, so I made my way up the stairs and into my room.

I think I am going to sleep on the floor, even its population of bugs, at least ill be more comfortable than on the plank.

Be back soon. Goodnight.

Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.