Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

The amazing Vietnamese cooking class



We have been in Vietnam for three days now and we only have two days to go and so much more to see.
Today was a day that I had been looking forward to the whole trip. It’s the day we got to go on our cooking class in one of the local restaurants called Old Hanoi. The day began at 9:15 am with a guided walk around the famous streets and markets. Being outside was very nice and sunny. (Fingers crossed I got a tan.) Our guide’s name was Tuan which means bright or smart in Vietnamese. Tuan was an incredibly nice guy and spoke great English, much better than I can speak Vietnamese. As we went passed the markets we stopped and bought a few things so we could cook our delicious Vietnamese cuisine. As we kept on walking we arrived deep into Hanoi’s old quarters; we got to smell some spices and the smell was very strong.
By around 10 am we started our cooking class. The restaurant was beautiful with the round tables and red chairs. I felt like I was a professional in the kitchen with my chef hat and apron. I was very proud of my efforts today only burning my self twice. By the end of the day my friends and I had cooked five dishes. The entree was grilled scallops and mussels in spring onion oil or as the Vietnamese people call it Diep. The main was steamed mudfish stuffed with pork and glass noodles or as the Vietnams people say ‘ca hap don thit’. Lastly for dessert we made a Dragon fruit shake as well as Banana Spring Rolls. By the way, sorry I don’t have a picture for the banana spring rolls that I ate it before there was time to take a picture but just to let you know it looked and tasted amazing.
By for now can’t wait to speak tomorrow
xx Rach










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.