Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Viaticus Maximus

Hello everyone! I am currently experiencing a long and tiring journey around the Kachin state, located in north east Burma. During the first few days here, I have experienced a whole different range of diverse and natural regions and landscapes which haven’t given in to the ever growing and voracious demands of tourism. I am also looking forward to scaling the peak of Phangran Razi, standing a massive 4330 metres above sea level. Scaling the snow covered cliffs of this mountain isn’t going to be an easy task however; all the hard work towards the ultimate goal will be very rewarding

My odyssey commenced when I arrived in the town of Putao, a small community of villagers and farmers. Unlike bigger cities in Myanmar, Putao had been completely ignored by Myanmar’s militaristic government and had lacked any proper means of the authority’s support. Because of this, Putao has successfully avoided becoming a dense and overpopulated city, falling to the Western demands for tourism. The night after, I travelled by a Tuk Tuk taxi to the Ziyadan village.

As I arrived in rural Ziyadan, the pristine white peaks of Phangran Razi came into my field of view. I stared with awe as I knew soon I would have to climb the massive natural formation. For the night I stayed a simple and humble hut. As I entered the small structure, I noticed that one of the friendly locals had kindly laid out a mattress for me to sleep on, a very generous gesture. There were bamboo chutes, which were used to acquire drinking water and there was even a pleasant outdoor traditional Asian toilet. I won’t go into to much details about it but let’s just say it is known here as the squatter.

Tomorrow, I will walk through the beautiful creek around Phangran Razi, surrounded by a beautiful thick forest. I look forward to spotting Myanmar’s natural wildlife and commencing my hike ascending towards Phangran Razi’s 4300 metre peak. It is going to be difficult, and cold, but I am determined to reach the mountain’s top and view the picturesque sights of the surrounding vertical terrain, including the Myanmar-India border. I have to sleep now however, I will write more soon about my endeavours across Phangran Razi’s snowy peaks*.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.