Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Lost Country







North Korea blog 2

I’m on my sixth day in North Korea and I have discovered something interesting. After a lot of screaming and shouting, I found out that the locals were not entirely happy with my humble home video. Annoyingly, nobody around North Korea actually wants to be publicised, even if it is just through a harmless device that tourists like myself commonly use in everyday life. We did visit an interesting place today though. When I visit the Zoo, I normally find it an interesting and inspiring place however; I think I have found an exception to this. Yesterday, we were allowed to visit the North Korean zoo. As a zoo, it was very good containing a decent amount of species and animals. The issue was it just didn’t feel right. Most of the animals were caged; it almost resembled an animal rights activist’s hell. I guess I could have found this out by looking at a travel guide, one of which stating that ‘it was an uninspiring and depressing place”. It really did feel depressing. After the zoo we arrived back at the hotel, I had the chance to go through more travel guides and found that a much better destination to visit would have been Kŭmgangsan. According to the travel guide, Kŭmgangsan is meant to be a stunning and naturally amazing mountain range. A Shame really when you see things like this and realised you just wasted a day when you have limited time, it is sort of disappointing

As a recap on North Korea it is really a great country offering a very interesting experience. Even though I say this however, I do not think that it is a good tourist destination. Have any of you have ever read George Orwell book 1984? The major idea of this book was big brother is always watching. This is what it feels like here. You can tell North Korea’s higher authority doesn’t want me in this country and they would prefer me gone rather than visiting. It may be the fact that the country feels depressing; maybe it’s just the feeling that comes on with the policies of the single party state. I don’t know; it just didn’t really feel like a tourist destination to me. Maybe the reason no one goes here isn’t the only reason why 2,500 people have been there since 1953, maybe it’s just too depressing. I’m sort of glad I’m leaving tomorrow.





By Timothy Farnbach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.