Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Year 8 Travel Blog - Laos #2

On arrival at the Vientiane airport in Laos I was immediately hit with a wall of heat on my face and body. Thank goodness I dressed in cotton clothes as the humidity was much higher than I was used to coming from the Melbourne winter. I decided to catch a rickshaw ‘cab’ to my hotel to start to experience the magic of the Laos culture and people first hand.

The rickshaw ‘cab driver’ was very friendly, and lucky for me, spoke very good English. I learnt in conversation his name was Chou (meaning ‘sun’ in Lao). We arrived at the hotel and Chou kindly offered to pick me up tomorrow and show me some of his country’s exciting culture.

I stayed in a luxury hotel it is called Lao Plaza. It’s a five star hotel with facilities that surpass your imagination - pool, gymnasium, indoor sport courts for the children and Concierge/ Club Floor.

The next morning Chou was waiting for me. . He told me the ‘must see’ in Vientiane is the Lao National Museum. The museum was founded as the ‘national museum’ highlighting the revolution of the 1970's and is located in a French colonial building. In 2007, the American Government donated a grant to help develop the museum. This museum, which was originally built in 1925 as the French governor’s residence, presents the history of Laos. This Highlights the Laotian people’s stwriggle to freedom.

After this short trip Chou took me back to the hotel. He asked if I wanted to eat with his family. The vast difference between the westernised hotel and the culture of the streets of Vientiane was vast. It was like stepping into a new world leaving the hotel.

The next evening Chou was there again outside the hotel. Chou’s home was very small, built on stilts and had high ceilings. There was no air-conditioning however

they had a large slow moving ceiling fan. His parents bowed when meeting me. Chou’s mother had cooked traditional food - Namgnum Damp Fish Food and the Drinking Lao Lai, both two trademark dishes of Laos. They were sensational, fresh, full of flavour and are now my favourite dishes.

I was overwhelmed with their hospitality and look forward to my further stay here.

Buddha Park And The Markets


I’m back again after a few days of relaxing at the hotel, it’s been very comfortable.

As I was sitting on the beach chair at the hotel drinking my Lao Lai, I received a surprising call from Chou. He asked me, since we had so much fun with his family, if I would like to go to Buddha Park with him. The Park has a creative sculpture which takes you hostage by its spectacular view.

Buddha Park was started in 1958 by Luang Pu (Venerable Grandfather). Luang Pu Bunleua Sulilat was a priest-shaman who integrated Hinduism and Buddhism in Laos.

After our fun day at Buddha Park, Chou took me to his country’s most divine markets.

I ended up buying a variety of different souvenirs for my family for when I got back to Melbourne. One of the souvenirs which I bought was a massive Ying Yang Portrait to hang up in our house for over the fireplace.

While I was browsing I discovered all the market’s store owners haggling me to buy their goods.

It was such a lot of fun spending the day at the Buddha Park and then concluding the evening with a tour of the markets. The markets were colourful and exciting. The atmosphere was crazy as there were thousands of people crowded up into a tiny space. But in the end I had a lovely day with Chao.

Chao dropped me back at the hotel in his rickshaw. As my trip is coming to an end I wondered if I would see Chao again in my lifetime.

Chao smiled and waved as he left, He didn’t appear sad, which is the way of these lovely and caring people.

By Jaz


2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.