Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lost My Way In Thailand



The milkshakes in Thailand are beautiful, Breakfast was also great, lunch was even better, dinner is yet to be eaten, it is only my first full day in Phuket and I am already captivated and amazed by the scenery, culture and the general feel of Thailand.

When I arrived from the long 8 hour flight from Melbourne to Phuket, I had to find a form of transport to take me for the 1 hour drive to Kata beach. I told the driver where I was staying yet he seemed confused on where to go or what I was talking about he just nodded and looked at the traffic flowing in every direction possible. I looked to my left and saw a man on his tiny motorbike with his 3 children around him not even needing to grab on to anything making it look effortless, the cars seem to have no specific direction to which they are going they might be going left but then might swerve right and then back to the left again it is quite confusing just staring let alone driving yourself. The driver dropped me off at a corner and went on his way without any directions to where my hostel was. I went wandering for hours looking for the hostel, I ate breakfast during the walk and lunch, yet I still could not find the hostel. I decided to use this time and went walking around and taking in the rich culture of Thailand, the beaches and the food.

I sat down at a cheap restaurant on Kata beach and ordered traditional Thai food; I ordered Phad Thai and sat there for only a few short minutes till the waiter brought out the aromatic meal. My tastebuds started tingling and I couldn’t wait for the meal to be on my table ready to eat. The waiter placed down the meal and I thanked her and dug into the beautiful food, the plate was nearly empty after only three minutes of eating. The waiter look stunned at how fast I had eaten and walked over to get myself a glass of water; she handed it to me and I drank the water and it tasted like the water had come from the toilet. I headed home and felt sick mid-way. I stood still for ten minutes and then vomited on the side of the road, I then realised that the water was tap water. My first day in Thailand and I have already lost my way, loved the beaches and discovered that tap water is disgusting in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.