Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

indian oddysey part 2

Travel blog Indian odyssey part 2
I have been in India for 4 weeks now and everyday I become more and more attached to this amazing place. Today I visited the Tiruvannamalai temple. The temple lies on around 25 acres of land. It is an extremely holy place and the scenery around it is almost picturesque. The tour guide told me something very interesting today. He said the name is derived from two things. The first part of the word "Thiru” signifies its greatness. The second part of the word is "Annamalai” and this means “inaccessible mountain”. Together they make the name Tiruvannamalai. After wandering around the site for some hours we decided it was time to get some lunch. The tour guide provided lunch and we ate together watching the sun set over the rolling hills.
The next day we visited another temple simular to Tiruvannamalai and now we are going to the slums to help prepare food for the kids who cannot afford things like a house food or even clean running water. We provide food for them and we bring clean water. The next day I went to the Ganges River. IT is said that the river which come from high in the Himalayan Mountains flows from heaven to earth. That is why people think so highly of it and bathe in it. They do this every night at 6 o’clock at is the worship ceremony at the river bank. During the ceremony people make offering of lambs and they play loud music with the ceremonial gongs. They also sing hymns to praise the river. Tomorrow I plan on going to Rajasthan to visit the castles built in the time of the Raj. I am going there with my art class to study the different types of architecture.

I have really enjoyed my time here in India and I highly recommend coming here. India is a beautiful country and there are many amazing sites that must be seen to be believed.

Maddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.